Do I have subsidence?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
97D6AC2E-8A76-40A3-B172-AF5B9E8C7036.jpeg
B9B5FACB-B816-4F7D-B228-97FC9AF340DE.jpeg
313D978A-5F18-484E-8EC1-1AC2EFBF480E.jpeg
Hello,
I’m looking for advice on some problems I’ve found around my house, which has had previous subsidence issues.
I have a horizontal bulge in the plasterboard wall along the stairwell (pics attached). There are also small cracks along the plaster board joins all around the rest of the stairwell at the same level. The bulge is on the wall that backs onto the bathroom, not an external wall.
There are also cracks along all of the skirting board/wall joints on the landing and the stairs and landing floorboards feel a bit uneven and creak a bit.
I also have loose window sills and frames on some of the PVC windows and loose brickwork around some of them on the outside of the house, on both sides of the house. The windows were installed in 2003, so could just be their age I guess?
I also have a crack on the masonry under an upstairs window and a stepped crack in the plaster above the window in the dining room.
The patio has also sunk a lot in the middle, however there is a large wisteria planted not very far from the sunk area.
I moved into the house last June, in a clay area, at which point I was told the subsidence from 13 years ago from a tree next door had been resolved through removing the tree and securing the foundations.
I’d be grateful for any advice on whether these signs could show a return of subsidence or are just normal wear and tear problems on a house built around 32 years ago.
If it could be a problem, who would I need to contact to investigate further? A builder, surveyor, or contact my insurance company straight away?
Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
From the images and the description, they are not indicative of subsidence. Big cracks in the same place on the inside and outside walls are.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back