Do I have to replace door or whole lock?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
As we can see from the attached image, the plate is broken. Is there a way that I can just replace this plate, or I have to replace the whole lock, or even the whole door?
Many Thanks
IMG_20170319_154602.jpg

Sponsored Links
Have you contacted the manufacturer to see if a replacement plate is available?

very likely you will find the corresponding indoor plate has two screws in it, which clamp into the outdoor plate.

Measure the distances between the screwholes and the keyhole and the knob spindle. Very likely you will find it a standard size and you can take your pick of thousands of replacements.
http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/products?parameter=fh_location=//catalog01/en_GB/$s=door\u0020handles/categories<{catalog01_door_furniture_multipoint_lock_handles}&fh_start_index=0

You need a "multipoint" handle. They are not the same as handles for wooden doors.

If available, I find that PVD (brass plate) on stainless steel is very durable and stays shiny. It is relatively new.

p.s.
I just checked some of the PVD handles, and they are plated onto zinc, which is very inferior and weak. If you do find a stainless steel one, it will be durable and strong, and resist certain burglary techniques. The Yale one is plated stainless, and has a security rating, but is rather expensive. It has a different shaped keyhole, to protect the cylinder.

edit
too slow!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi daxu,

Aside from sorting the handles, your door looks quite insecure. The euro cylinder's protruding, which already makes it an easy target, and it looks like a cheapo cylinder that wouldn't resist snapping or drilling. I'd recommend replacing the euro cylinder with one that's both the right size and Sold Secure Diamond rated.

If you don't upgrade the lock cylinder, then instead I'd recommend those Yale Platinum handles that John mentioned. However, the handles are only available in a couple of sizes, so it's worth double-checking the "PZ" distance is right for your door. Decent handles (Yale Platinum, Mila Pro Secure, Hoppe PAS24) cost about the same a high-security cylinder, but you need new handles anyway ...

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back