Garage door locking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening

I have a framed retractable garage door. The door is locked by two chisel shaped rods on either side of the door about 25cm from the bottom.

These rods are just locating on the edge of the plate which is secured to the frame.

Is it possible to replace these rods for longer ones or extend the locking plate so the rods have a better lock. Currently a sharp pull on the door and it will open.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The perils of a flexible garage door I'm afraid.....its possible to extend those rods but there are other ideas on the market that block the door from opening.
Its fairly simple to increase the security from the inside using tower bolts - but thats not much good if you only have the one door!
John :)

Thanks for the reply John

Unfortunately only one door, no separate entrance.
I do also intend to get either side garage bolts or a "garage defender" but would like to sort the current lock out in the interim.

So, is it best to buy longer rods or just extend the plate which the locks spring out behind?

Sponsored Links
Swift kick just below the handle and door will buckle ,allowing bolts to pull free unless very, very long.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back