Do I need a negative head pump?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put a shower pump in the loft at the same level as the cold water tank however the hot water cylinder is in an airing cupboard on the next floor dow, will I need a negative head pump or will a standrd one do?

Also, I know I need to fit a Sussex Flange to the hot water outlet at the tank, where is the best place to then tee off the hot feed to the pump, at the tank itself or further along the pipework?

Sponsored Links
Oh dear :rolleyes:

The storage tank must be 600mm min above the pump connections.
You would use an tank connector on the storage tank and an essex flange for the cylinder, there are other fitting but not so good.

Negative head means the shower rose is above the water supply, possitive head means it's not :rolleyes:

Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by a tank connector?

My other option is to fit the pump under the bathroom floor as I have a 2 foot gap under it and I could put a suspended shelf in.

Sponsored Links
Ah, my fault but I didn't explain the current set up which may alter things........

I already have an Aqualiser mixer shower (non pumped) fed off a 22mm cold tank supply and a 22mm hot supply which appears to be tee off from the bath supply in the same room.This is with the cold tank in the loft and hot cylinder in an upstairs airing cupboard (2 story house)

This is to be replaced by a new shower thermostatic mixer with a large 7" diameter rose head and will need to be pumped. I will use the existing cold supply and route it via a pump but am unsure whether I can also use the existing hot supply due to it being pumped. I also need to work out my pump siting possibilities and what, if any, type of flange I'll need to fit.

Thanks

Yes you can re-route the cold to use that, but the hot should come direct from the cylinder for best results, you may find you have an secondary return tapping on the cylinder (about 1/3 down) if so use that otherwise an Essex flange, google again, is the best fitting.

i would look to install the pump beside the cylinder

Cheers, that clears that up. Will take a closer look at the cylinder for another return tapping and will also try and locate the pump in the airing cupboard too (even though it may make the spare room a little noisy !!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back