Do I need a new flue for a wood stove?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've removed an old gas fire with a backburner from the fireplace. I've now got a large piece of flue sticking out, which I'll leave until I get the stove.

But I'm having the chimney stack done and need to know if the present flue will do for a wood fire.

I don't know its diameter (I know this will be an issue) I just want to know if it's suitable.

Thanks,

steve

* I put this here as I didn't think the Pumbing forum was the best place.

Sponsored Links
Depends what condition it is in, the woodburner can give off a lot of heat and the liner needs to be fit for that purpose.

Sponsored Links
Gas flues are not suitable for solid fuel stoves; for safety reasons you should budget for a new, twin wall solid fuel flue liner of suitable diameter for the stove.

Also be aware that installing a stove is notifyable building work unless you use a HETAS registered installer; you must have a certificate of compliance for the new stove.

Don’t plaster or fit plasterboard to the fire opening or chimney breast.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back