Stove flue - distance to brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm putting in another wood burner in (this time in the kitchen) and have a question regarding the stove flue pipe. I only have a very shallow depth up the chimney flue (9 1/2") for the stove flue to go into.

Structurally, would there be problems if the cast iron flue from the stove was say 2" from the back wall? It is an internal party wall, so 9" two courses thick. I'm worried about the heat coming from the flue damaging the bricks/mortar. Gaps around and above the stove itself exceed the manufacturer's recommendations.

The first installation I did was signed off successfully and I didn't face the same issue I am here with distances.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I don't know a definite answer to this but can't help think that the heat from a pipe is going to do less harm to masonary than lighting an open fire in the fireplace. Was that not what it was designed for originally or did you build the "chimney"?

Thanks billabong. No the chimneys are original to the house and did originally have coal fires in them. Wish I could build chimneys!

I''m probably being pedantic, but the pipe is going to be much closer to brick than in the front room and I was just worried about heat - maybe it isn't a concern. All other distances are greater than requirements so it is just the flue.

Mine was signed off by bc although in scotland (presume very similar regs). In my setup the flue pipe that exits the stove is about the same distance from the back of the chimney, 2".

Higher up it's a liner that actually touches the masonary. That's only about 1m above the stove top so hot. It has never caused any issues and like I said, signed off compliant.

Hope this puts your mind at rest

Graeme

Sponsored Links
It does; thank you. Unfortunately I'm one of those people who often let things like this stay on the mind at the end of the day after having done a job...

Both flue liners I have touch the masonry too (as they go up and around the 2 bends in the flue), so maybe I'm doubting the strength of it. Cheers, Graeme.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back