proposed new fireplace recess for a woodburning stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to install a woodburning stove in my property. I have no existing chimney so I need to form a new fireplace recess (approx 800mm wide x 800mm high)in the external cavity wall between the house and the attached garage. The stove will sit in the recess with a small masonry chamber (2 sides, a backand a "roof")in the garage to form the rear part of the recess. The flue will connect from the stove to an insulated stainless flue system through the small masonry chamber "roof", up through the garage roof and then up the gable of the house to the termination point . To form the recess I will need to install 2 lintols in the cavity wall. Would I need to first install needles above to support the wall while the lintols are installed underneath (I cant prop from inside the house as the ground floor is a block and beam). Also, I think I would need to submit a building control notice and would they expect calcs for the lintols. Any comments or advice would be gratefully received.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
A building submission & inspection will be required for the lintels & they will probably requires calcs. You can usually get away without propping on small openings but I’m not going to advise you do that; that call would have to be yours.

Installation of the stove is also subject to several Building Regulations regarding the cavity, flue, constructional hearth (you can’t just plonk a bit of slate on the floor), ventilation & a prominently displayed classification notice (next to the consumer unit usually) regarding the type of installation. It’s also notifyable building work unless you use a HETAS registered installer; you will need a certificate of compliance when you come to sell.

& don’t use gypsum base or finish plaster any where near or around (1 metre) the stove, it will crack & fall off in a very short time.

Many thanks for your advice Richard. I have contacted a HETAS installer and they say that they can do everything including the building work, so it sounds like I might be safer leaving it to them.

A registered HETAS installer can self certify compliance of the hearth, stove enclosure & other associated building works along with the fire installation but not the lintel as far as I’m aware. Lintel installation must be submitted for LABC inspection & that may be what your installer proposes but I would check.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back