Do I need a new soil stack?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am sick of clearing out my macerator on the first floor ensuite wc and want to install a standard 100mm waste down to an existing drain access chamber. The main bathroom soil stack vents this drain, but is too far away to connect the ensuite wc directly to.

I'm sure I've seen ground floor wcs with simple little branches to drain, so can I simply run the new wc waste as a pipe to drain or does it need its own soil stack and all the BCO involvement & testing associated?

Sponsored Links
Since your WC is on the first floor you would have to have some form of ventilation at the top of the vertical stack, but I think this could be a "durgo" type AAV (air admittance valve) above the flood level of the highest appliance connected, but they should be fitted indoors. It might be simpler to continue the stack up to the roof.

Anyway you ought to check it with Building Control to comply with Building Regulations (H1 - see ODPM web site), although my guess is that the majority of such remedial work is done without their knowledge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back