Do I Need A Reroof

I'm going to resurrect this post with a question:

When the work was done, I was told the roof wouldn't need any roof vents put in because:

a) the felt membrane was breathable
b) the other half of the roof (the front) was not replaced so is still slate on wood so plenty of ventilation.

However, I'm about to update the insulation and would like to know if I should get some slate vents fitted on the side with the felt membrane.

The loft has been converted, so although the front is well ventilated, there isn't a huge amount of airflow between the front and back, so I'm concerned that with the change in atmosphere I'm going to get condensation.

On the note of getting the vents fitted, it is likely to damage surrounding slates when done? I don't want anyone buggering up my nice slates!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

That's a pain. No point trying to complain to them now though. Guess I'll need to get that dealt with as well.

Sodding house is costing me a fortune!

Remember both sides of roof for adequate cross flow of ventilation, especially if you are going to be insulating at rafter level.

Sponsored Links
Think I'll send the roofer a letter asking if he'll rectify now that it's been brought to my attention - I did ask him if they were needed and he said they weren't.

Worst he can do is ignore it.

Breathable membrane does not make provision for ventilation only for the passage or egress of moisture.

You were misinformed by your roofers, ventilation tiles should be installed at both eave and ridge height both front and rear elevations of roof.

Nothings ever straight forward :confused:

http://www.charnwood.gov.uk/files/documents/breathable_felts1/Breathable felts.pdf[/QUOTE]
This is not an accurate post alastair, you only need additional ventilation under certain circumstances, even your link says so. That said I confess I have not kept up to speed in this thread (and can't be bothered to trawl through the 6 pages either) so they may be required in this situation. But they are not required whenever a breathable membrane is fitted which your post suggests.

The poster is from stirling assume will probably have sarking boards.
Additional vents were always specified when doing new build work.

In hindsight I don't think there's any point in writing to the roofers, seeing as it was 3 and half years ago. I imagine they'd say that if there was a problem, it would be evident by now. As there is currently no problem, I suppose I can't really complain.

I'll just need to foot the bill if/when the insulation people say more ventilation is needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back