Do I Need A Reroof

That is a relatively 'new' roof even if the actual slates are original.

The roof was not layed by a qualified 'slater'!

Check out how many straight bonded perpends you can spot!

The only thing keeping the weather out is the underfelt!

You say 'sarking board', are you in Scotland?

There is no underfelt :) And yes, I'm in Scotland

Sponsored Links
If there is no underfelt then it is a marvel that you have not suffered even more internal water damage.

'Do not' even contemplate having dialog with anyone but a fully skilled Roof Slater/Tiler (emphasis on 'Slater') - especially with a 'random slate' roof constructed in the Scottish manner!

A fully competent re-roof is a dire necessity I'm afraid, not a probable future luxury. A genuine Scottish type slate roof is fashioned with great skill and if the building in question is not listed consider using a cheaper roofing material - those original old slates look perfect to me (Ballachulish I think?) and should fetch a tidy amount on the right market.

Good luck!

Can you tell I am new to this forum?!

I poked my nose in without checking all of the previous posts, now I see that I am, at best, just repeating what others have quite ably noted - sorry!

Joatmojo

If there is no underfelt then it is a marvel that you have not suffered even more internal water damage.

'Do not' even contemplate having dialog with anyone but a fully skilled Roof Slater/Tiler (emphasis on 'Slater') - especially with a 'random slate' roof constructed in the Scottish manner!

A fully competent re-roof is a dire necessity I'm afraid, not a probable future luxury. A genuine Scottish type slate roof is fashioned with great skill and if the building in question is not listed consider using a cheaper roofing material - those original old slates look perfect to me (Ballachulish I think?) and should fetch a tidy amount on the right market.

Good luck!

The company we are using does come well recommended and was one of 3 that the local council recommended when we applied for planning permission.

Just to summarise, the back will be getting stripped, felted and then recovered in diminishing courses in Burlington Blue slate.

Much of the slate on the roof is very small and rounded, so the general consensus is that it's pretty useless for reuse, hence going for a complete reroof, however, I'm sure there's a reasonable amount that could be resused/resold, but to be honest that's just adding more hassle to a job which I just want done. I'm not made of money by any stretch, but I don't want the trouble of passing on slate which may or may not be of any use to anyone...

Once it's stripped I'll take some more photos and then take some as each stage is completed (assuming I'm in when it's done!)

Sponsored Links
Sounds good as long as the firm that's doing it does employ qualified slaters that understand 'random' work (a proper rarity these days and getting rarer!).

The problem with the use of underfelt, when nailing direct to sarking, is pretty counter productive really as each and every nail pierces the membrane. On a well laid roof that can have its problems with widespread, unobtrusive little leaks causing damage over time.

What I would recommend is counter-battening on top of the sarking board, then underfelt and then slate lath (battens) on top of that - especially with shoulder nailed Burlingtons (ballachulish are 'head' nailed).

Believe me, the extra cost would be negligible when weighing up the long term alternatives.

And again, not wanting to sound too pessimistic; many officials in safe positions behind high desks do not always know what they are talking about, particularly when it comes to the end product of skilled trades - they rely on 'The Book', Insurance safety nets, ISO's, BBA's and the like . . even Historic Scotland can get it wrong when it comes to slate roofing!

A sign of the times I'm afraid - but look on the bright side, there are a few good uns still about and I'm sure you'll find them.

Well, it's too late to change roofers, but the company I'm using are one of 2 who come highly recommended from others who have had similar work done in the area. I have to trust someone, and these guys have always turned up on time, answer any question I have etc etc, so I'm happy with them so far.

The roof is now almost stripped, and is apparently in good condition underneath.

The chimney on the other hand is not in such good condition. Apparently the stone is very weak and badly weathered and really should be rebuilt. However that is simply out the question right now, so we are opting for "band aid" work to be done and we'll tackle it again when we have the funds. Pain in the arse.

I have photos, I just need to upload them :)

so we are opting for "band aid" work to be done and we'll tackle it again when we have the funds
Oh noooo!
Thats a damn shame.
The last thing you want is ladders, scaffold and humans working on your chimney after paying for a new SLATED roof.
Tiles you can change but if they damage any new slates..................... :confused:

so we are opting for "band aid" work to be done and we'll tackle it again when we have the funds
Oh noooo!
Thats a damn shame.
The last thing you want is ladders, scaffold and humans working on your chimney after paying for a new SLATED roof.
Tiles you can change but if they damage any new slates..................... :confused:

No choice. If we could magic a few £1000 from nowhere then great, but we only just managed to magic enough to pay for the roof.....

I am so tempted to sue the surveyor that did our report just over 18 months ago. Said the chimney needed "repointing". Bastard.

I am so tempted to sue the surveyor
Ha!

Crikey, don't see your chimney on the photo but it must be a heck of a momma to cost a few grand to rebuild!
Ah well, no use fretting, you'll have a lovely new roof soon.
Good luck.

It is a fairly big chimney yes, 4 stacks and made of sandstone.

If I can afford to get it cemented just now to last another couple of years, I'll apply for grant work as I'm in a conservation area. I couldn't get a grant for the roof as I was only doing half, whereas they wanted both sides done, but a chimney rebuild should be covered.[/i]

bumping a seriuosly old topic here, but i`m quite curious as to the temporary platforms used in photos 3 and 4 here.

Does someone know how they are setup? looks ingeniuos.

As far as I know this is done using roofing irons with a board on top. It's like a big hook that sits on the roof creating a level bracket to sit the board on.

I think.

its an L shaped piece of flat iron with a spike welded onto one end and a foot welded onto the other to accomodate a piece of flat timber which cushions the roof covering from the point pressure created after the spike is driven into the nearest truss. together with another one or two brackets you then lay a scaffold board across them to create a level working platform.
as you slate the roof you just add more brackets as you get higher up retaining the existing brackets till the roof is complete. can be dodgy if the spikes arent driven in properly the brackets corble over and dump you off the temp perch
:eek: this can be quite scary if you are slating a church or such like. ;)

:edit

Just noticed Roofer made a thread identical to this reply, but cant delete this post.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back