Do I Need A Reroof

Sponsored Links
Practicality wise, tiles blow slates out of the water. (IMHO) :)
Of course they wont look exactly the same but that is a small price to pay for the savings and the maintenance.

Edit; just looked at the pictures, now i don't know what you meant?
You say slates v tiles, no contest, are you saying you prefer the looks of these slates?? I wouldn't want a tile that looks like that. :eek:
They look a mess to me.

Spooked, to answer your questions/points, each time I need a slate replaced, it costs between £40 and £50, which is fine, however my insurance excess is £100, so that's a no go before it even starts. My issue is with simply needing to get slates replaced every time we have bad weather, as there seem to be few good roofers in my area.

I personally like the look of the slates that are there just now. They are original, just like the rest of the building. If I had the choice, I'd put reclaimed slate back up there, but alas that does not seem to be an option. If I can persuade the neighbours to get theirs done at the same time then it will look fine using new slate.

On that note I've decided to take the plunge and get the roof recovered, as opposed to a patch job. Yes it's a lot more expensive to start with, but, for a good few years I shouldn't have to worry about slipped slates which is a big bonus for me.

Thanks for all the advice. I may, if I have time, put up a wee running commentary of the reroof, if/when it happens :)

Sponsored Links
hi chuck.
Glad you made a decision.
My post was to datarebal really. I don't know if he was saying he likes the slates or not.
I don't dislike the slates, it probably looked great new.
However, due to the nature of slate and the way they are fixed you cannot replace a broken slate PROPERLY without taking all the slates from the ridge down to the broken one.
This is why so many slate roofs start to look scruffy when they need repairs.
You either need a patient roofer (hahahahhah) or do it yourself to make it look as good as new.

Nosealls post MAY have been sarcasm as you put 'You may, if you have time, update us'
Which may appear to be a bit of a :p to everyone as you had time to ask the question.
I could be wrong, it has ben known :LOL:
And yes, no call back is normal, we are tradesmen for Christs sake :evil:
Good luck.

hi chuck.
Nosealls post MAY have been sarcasm as you put 'You may, if you have time, update us'
Which may appear to be a bit of a :p to everyone as you had time to ask the question.

Fair point, I had time to ask, so I should have time to follow up. However, more what I was meant was if I have time to take photos. If I can't get time off work, then it'll be dark when I leave and dark when I get home, so the photos would be a bit duff :)

sarcastic, ME, you've got to be kidding.

we sit in dark dreary rooms answering posts all night long. our only respite is a nice piccie or two to relieve the tedium. ;)

seriously, if only all posters were so diligent as to show us a photo once in a while, it would brighten up this forum no end. :LOL:

I have to disagree im afraid. Good old slates, but theyre a bit shot arent they?[/quote]

I would be surprised if they were all dead.. Being a thick slate gives them a rougth looking edge this makes the roof look a bit ragged .. truth is nobody can tell from a photo.

A victoian cottage with concrete interlocking tiles on.. jeezzz that went out 20 plus years ago..

A victoian cottage with concrete interlocking tiles on.. jeezzz that went out 20 plus years ago..

Thats the thing i suppose, do you go with fashion or practicality?
I know I wouldn't have slates just to be in fashion.
Plenty of nice looking tiles out there.
But then, if you saw my wardrobe you would understand me and fashion :D

The choice of slates has nothing to do with fashion. 1, I want to keep the house in it's traditional style, 2, I'm in a conservation area, I have to use slate, and 3, seeing as I'm terraced, it'd look appalling to use anything but slate :)

However all that said, I can see the practical advantages of using tiles, but they are not an option

If you are in a conservation area then as you say you have no choice.
Your other two points are to do with looks, that's what I was saying, do you go for how something looks or practicality.
It looks like you are on the end of a terrace?
This makes it a semi in effect.
I've seen plenty of houses with different roof coverings, sometimes it makes things look more interesting if the job is done well.
If your neighbours aren't up for getting theirs done I think it's going to look a tad odd for a while anyway as I take it you will be having decent sized slates?
Hope you get chance to post some pohto's later, I would like to see the finished article.
Good luck :)

Understand what you're saying, but the image of the village is that of Victorian houses with slate roofs, which I like, so want to keep it that way :)

Although that is my only worry, I know that the joint between old and new will look a bit odd, but again, not much choice there, the neighbours are in no position to shell out £5k when their roof isn't leaking :(

Still, it'll mean peace of mind for me, which is the important thing :)

As for photos, I will try my best to get some, I suppose it really depends on when it's being done, because I won't be here during the day to watch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back