Do I need a room/house thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had two contradictory opinions provided - one says that despite having TRVs in every room I should have a centrally located, wall based 'stat, the other says the latter isn't needed. My layman-logic says I do, since it will actually switch the boiler off, which TRVs won't (can't), but what do I know!

Advice, DIYnot-sters, please.

Sponsored Links
All I know is you shouldn’t have a a TRV in the same room as a room stat.

The heating will work without a room thermostat.
However it will cost far more to operate as the boiler will never be switched off, and even with all radiator valves closed the boiler will cycle on/off endlessly causing excessive wear and probably fail long before it normally would.
Building regulations require some form of thermostat or other boiler control to switch it off when no heat is required.

Sponsored Links
go with the stat... now what stat to go for?? that's a whole different ball game. You budget conscious or not?

Almost every boiler needs a roomstat offhand I can only think of one that doesn't and no one wires that boiler up like it anyway!!

Contrary to popular belief the roomstat is there to turn the heating off rather than on ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back