Thermostatic radiator valves conflict with room thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read that TRVs should not be fitted in the room where the room thermostat is located because it creates conflict. Unfortunately, every radiator in my house is fitted with a TRV. I have now removed the head from the TRV where the room stat is located (in the hall), hoping that I will not have to completely replace with a normal valve. Do I need to make any further adjustments to stop the conflict between the TRV and the room stat?

Sponsored Links
Removing the head has relinquished the valve of any thermal control over the radiator, therefore turning it into a manual valve that is permanently open.

The system will now work 'properly'.

the radiator in the room with the wall stat should be adjusted so that its room warms up slower than all the others in the house. Otherwise it will turn off the hearting while some rooms are still cold.

This is done by adjusting the lockshield so that the radiator is less hot. Turn it to closed, open half a turn, then see how hot the rad is after an hour. Do not adjust it more than a quarter turn per day. You need very little movement on a lockshield to make it effectively wide open.

Sponsored Links
Thank you Charnwood. Qui docet discit - great quote - every time I prepare lessons, it is a learning experience.

JohnD, many thanks to you too.

GavThePlumber, the problem I was having (and I am not sure yet whether it has been solved - I'll turn on the heating later this evening and monitor what happens) was this. As expected, all the rads would heat up as the target temperature on the room stat was being achieved by the boiler but, because there is a TRV in the same room (hall) as the room stat, the boiler would shut off when the TRV temperature was reached. Therefore, the other rooms would begin to cool down to discomfort levels.

Two nights ago, I lowered the TRV in the hall and noticed that the room stat could not reach its target temperature of 18 degrees (stopping at 17.5) This was the first evidence I had that convinced me that there was a conflict. Yesterday evening, after searching for answers on the Internet, I removed the TRV head completely. I have had this issue for two years (since my new heating system was installed). Next step is to reduce the LS valve opening. If this doesn't work, but I don't see why it shouldn't, I'll lower the LS valve setting further.

you have to lower it until it is almost completely shut.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back