do i need a vapour barrier?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am currently doing a garage conversion and at present have made up stud work and filled the internals with celotex and filled any gaps with expanding foam and taped up all joints. Now do i need a vappour barrier or am i ready to plasterboard? all gaps in the walls and ceilings were filled fully.what would the benefits be of a extra vapour barrier?

Sponsored Links
The celotex is not breathable, but the studs are. Without a VCL the concern is the moisture may be forced through the studs, or any gaps between the insulation and studs (remember the timber may dry and shrink).

Personally I prefer a proper polythene sheet over vapour backed plasterboard, as you can properly lap and seal it with itself, and DPM around openings and floors, and openings such as for sockets.

Taping over the joints may technically be enough, but there is no downside to a proper VCL, and it's inexpensive.

Did you fit a membrane of some sort on the back of the wall before fitting the studwork?

Sponsored Links
i ended up fitting a vapour barrier got 1 cheap in screwfix so stappled on and taped up the joints now on to the plasterboarding this should be fun..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back