United Kingdom
I'm building a timber framed workshop. Construction as follows: -

70mm studs @ 400 centres
70mm Celotex between studs
9mm WBP sheath on outside
Breathable membrane paper
25mm battens
uPVC shiplap cladding

Do I need to add a polythene membrane to the face of the studs before fitting the internal wall covering?

Richard

Sponsored Links
You could opt or duplex (foil backed) plasterboard rather than plain backed...pinenot :)

I was planning on using higher density acoustic plasterboard to try and reduce the noise getting out. Does this come with a foil backing?

Richard

Not aware of acoustic duplex boards, sorry...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
So does that mean I need to fit a waterproof membrane between studs and plasterboard?

Richard

Either foil backed plasterboard or a separate vapour barrier in between the studs and plasterboard eg http://www.screwfix.com/p/vapour-barrier-2-5m-x-20m/12869 The purpose of the vapour barrier is to prevent any moisture entering the insulation from the inside and condensing within the insulation.

(I don't think British Gypsum Soundbloc (acoustic plasterboard) is available with a foil facing)

Hi Freddie, yes Soundbloc does not come foiled backed, so need a poly sheet then. Thanks guys.

Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back