Do I need an overflow pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, My mother had a combi boiler fitted a few years ago. She is currently having new fascias fitted and they have sealed over the overflow pipe from the tank in the attic as they say she doesn't need it. The inlet and outlet have been capped but is it possible for water to still get into the tank and should the overflow have been left open?

Sponsored Links
If the inlet and outlet to the tank have been capped, then how would any water get in there?

Sounds like the whole tank has been made redundant by the combi boiler - not just the overflow.

But if you let Pedanticvindictiveman into your loft to do some plumbing ..........read his signature :mrgreen:

Hi, My mother had a combi boiler fitted a few years ago. She is currently having new fascias fitted and they have sealed over the overflow pipe from the tank in the attic as they say she doesn't need it. The inlet and outlet have been capped but is it possible for water to still get into the tank and should the overflow have been left open?

Julie, don't worry. The tank should be empty, and has simply been abandoned. It is possible to sufer a spillage when removing rom the loft so it is fairly common practice to leave them, unless the space is required. So the first reply was OK, although a little and unneccesarily sarcastic, I feel.

Sponsored Links
Wasn't intended to be sarcastic.

I was just leaving the door open in case the OP came back and said something like "there is another pipe going into the tank, but I don't know where that comes from"

Thanks for replies. I hadn't actually seen the tank and my Mum was worrying so thought it would put her mind at rest to have confirmation that it was all ok. She has stopped worrying now. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back