1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Do i need battens on top of Cement Fibre board

Discussion in 'Building' started by AlwaysBestToAsk, 22 Jun 2021.

1. AlwaysBestToAsk

AlwaysBestToAsk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all,

Might sound a stupid question but....got an exterior building covered in Cement Fibre board that we are unsure as to whether to render it or clad it in wood at the moment but normally if you've got a wooden OSB wall (which this has) then you'd put battens on to raise the wooden cladding off the wall to allow air to flow behind the cladding and the wall to keep it dry but if we've put cement fibre boards up do we still need to do this or can we put the wooden cladding straight onto the cement board (i.e no gap behind it) as in theory there'd be no gap for water or moisture to get behind would there ? The reason i'm asking is that the doors and windows are set quite far back into this building so i'd like to minimise any further building out of the walls if i can help it.

Hope this makes sense.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. noseall

noseall

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You would always have a gap behind the cladding. Some products actually require airflow behind (Cedral Cladding) so they need to be open top and bottom.

4. AlwaysBestToAsk

AlwaysBestToAsk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Righto...thanks for that