Fibre cement cladding tips?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm seriously considering going the fibre cement board instead of timber for a small part-clad garden room (approx 15m^2 of cladding) on a 5x3m room (thanks to suggestions in a previous thread).

I've never worked with this material though I do have some samples, I have no 'feel' for how it behaves. I'd welcome any tips or experiences you've had but I do have a few specific questions:

- Cutting. I have a Dewalt 18V battery 184mm circular saw and I am ordering a mitre saw (leaning towards the Evolution with the multi-blade) can either of these be used with a special blade, or do I need a dedicated "wet saw". I see Screwfix have dedicated fibre cement blades but the 184mm one is £60 and listed as "coarse cut". If the Evolution mitre multi-material blades would work then that would be great!

- The ones I'm looking at now (CladCo) their installation guide says I should install a DPC/water-proof strip outside the battening between the cladding board and battens, particularly at corners and joins. This is separate to your breather membrane under the battens. I've been spending quite a bit of time looking into timber cladding and never seen this, the whole point is that water can get through but the air-gap provides drainage/ventilation. Not sure if this is different for cement boards or the manufacturer is just being extra cautious?

Sponsored Links
Get you're self a guillotine for cutting too length cleaner cuts also if doing on you're own gecko clamps are a second pair of hands

Whenever we work with cement based materials we have both the 9” and the mini grinder on the go. We usually fit a 300mm diamond blade onto our big Dewalt chopper for straights. Deffo need a grinder for angles.

Get you're self a guillotine for cutting too length cleaner cuts also if doing on you're own gecko clamps are a second pair of hands
This is the same sort of thing for cutting laminate flooring? Like https://www.toolstation.com/roughneck-laminate-floor-cutter/p37836 for about £50... I can see pro ones for 10X that!
I'd seem people make a jig for plank spacing but not those little clamps... pretty neat idea. Thanks.
Whenever we work with cement based materials we have both the 9” and the mini grinder on the go. We usually fit a 300mm diamond blade onto our big Dewalt chopper for straights. Deffo need a grinder for angles.
Hadn't thought of using the grinder. Can see it being a bit slower and less precise but my job is not very large - we're talking a few dozen cuts not hundreds.

Sponsored Links
This is the same sort of thing for cutting laminate flooring? Like https://www.toolstation.com/roughneck-laminate-floor-cutter/p37836 for about £50... I can see pro ones for 10X that!
I'd seem people make a jig for plank spacing but not those little clamps... pretty neat idea. Thanks.

Hadn't thought of using the grinder. Can see it being a bit slower and less precise but my job is not very large - we're talking a few dozen cuts not hundreds.
Guillotine would be cleaner - no burr. We generally use the grinder for angle cuts..

Guillotine would be cleaner - no burr. We generally use the grinder for angle cuts..
Like into the peak at a gable end, or more complex cuts? I was wondering why the guillotine would be a problem for a simple angle?

Also thinking about the inevitable rip you have to do on your top board and around window/doors. Sounds less fun!
Is a proper mask advised for cutting these even outdoors? Is it like cutting bricks?

Yep decent lam cutter will do we use the Hardie ones which are £ plus dust free also only worth buying blades for long rips and grinder as said is handy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back