Do i need battens on top of Cement Fibre board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Might sound a stupid question but....got an exterior building covered in Cement Fibre board that we are unsure as to whether to render it or clad it in wood at the moment but normally if you've got a wooden OSB wall (which this has) then you'd put battens on to raise the wooden cladding off the wall to allow air to flow behind the cladding and the wall to keep it dry but if we've put cement fibre boards up do we still need to do this or can we put the wooden cladding straight onto the cement board (i.e no gap behind it) as in theory there'd be no gap for water or moisture to get behind would there ? The reason i'm asking is that the doors and windows are set quite far back into this building so i'd like to minimise any further building out of the walls if i can help it.

Hope this makes sense.

Sponsored Links
You would always have a gap behind the cladding. Some products actually require airflow behind (Cedral Cladding) so they need to be open top and bottom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back