Do i need earth?

Would it be better to have the switches on the output side of the transformer ?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Result of iron losses -

upload_2016-9-26_19-42-24.jpeg

whats "iron losses"

The magnetic field that creates current in the wire of the secondary also creates currents in the iron core of the tranformer. These currents warm the metal core and thus waste energy.

The old engineering saying relates to this "Eddy Currents steals the Joules

The magnetic field that creates current in the wire of the secondary also creates currents in the iron core of the tranformer. These currents warm the metal core and thus waste energy.

The old engineering saying relates to this "Eddy Currents steals the Joules

Is that the case with one of these though.
God forbid, if the resident transformer expert has his wires crossed
65be9637df.jpg

Is that the case with one of these though.
Whilst it is not primarily a wire-wound transformer (although it probably contains a small one of those - albeit probably ferrite-, rather than iron-, cored), I very much doubt that the device draws zero power when there is no load - so it will have 'losses' (wasted power), even if not 'iron' ones.

Kind Regards, John

Assuming it has a small high frequency magnetic transformer then yes. But it might be "ferrite losses" instead of iron losses.
Yes, but, at least in theory, 'ferrite losses' ought to be extremely small, since one of the main features of ferrite cores is that they are essentially non-conductive. However, as I said, even if there were no losses associated with wire-wound components, I would not expect one of those boxes of electronics to consume zero power when unloaded, so there almost certainly would be some 'losses'.

Kind Regards, John

We've probably used more electricity discussing it here than one of those units would use in a lifetime ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back