Do i need earth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wired up some led lighting to my cupboard doors provided simple circuit below to illustrate as each door opens, the leds switch on.

Had a local sparky inspect to ensure all was well and advised me it needed redoing as the earths are not connected on the mains side. S1,2,3 represent 3 cupboard switches in parallel.

Now i am confused as the earth has nowhere to go, the circuit is purely switching ie all insulated switches have no earth connection, neither does the LED transformer?

Please see below diagram i knocked up and photos illustrating current state plus you can see one of the cupboard switches in the photo. I have left earth tails up to illustrate they are not connected.

TIA

6581a889d6.png

65be9637df.jpg

Sponsored Links
If there are "earth" conductors ( CPCs ) in the cables then they must be connected to each other and the CPC in the cable bringing power must be connected ( directly or via other lighting cables ) to the "earth" in the consumer unit.

If there is no provision to terminate / join the CPCs then you need to provided one by adding a terminal block.

One reason is that you or someone else may change switches for switches that do need an "earth".

Had a local sparky inspect to ensure all was well and advised me it needed redoing as the earths are not connected on the mains side. S1,2,3 represent 3 cupboard switches in parallel. ... Now i am confused as the earth has nowhere to go, the circuit is purely switching ie all insulated switches have no earth connection, neither does the LED transformer?
Your photos are not showing up, other than as icons - can you try re-posting them?

What sort of cable have you used? Even if there is currently nothing to connect an earth to, regulations require that an earth is run to every point in mains wiring, not the least in case that, in the future, something is installed there which does need an earth.

Kind Regards, John

The earths must be connected together and sleeved with green/yellow sleeving.

The grey cable sheath must be continued inside the junction boxes.

The cables should be clipped outside and adjacent to the junction boxes so they can't be pulled out of the connections exposing bare live ends.

Why not use a single 4-terminal box which will be neater and hold all the connections you need?

Sponsored Links
Ah. Mine must be less secure than yours.

The pictures are even visible to me in your quote saying you can see those icons.

Ah. Mine must be less secure than yours.
Seemingly. What browser are you using? Strangely, I've just tried with IE, and again see exactly the same (just icons).
The pictures are even visible to me in your quote saying you can see those icons.
Yes, it occurred to me after the event that I was probably cluttering up the thread with pictures, as far as most people were concerned. Just to confirm what I was seeing:
upload_2016-9-24_13-42-23.png

Kind Regards, John

What about?
That diagram takes the "transformer debate" to a whole new level, since we see the standard 'symbol' for a wire-wound transformer being used for something which is converting AC to DC (as well as changing voltage)!!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back