How do I earth a metallic switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Can anyone help with an earthing problem?

I recently bought a chrome switch for my downstairs hallway light (2 gang, 2 way). The existing switch was plastic and there was no earth lead to either the switch or the installation box mounted in the wall.

Because the new switch is metallic, I understand that it needs to be earthed. However, while there is a connection in the switch for an earth lead, there is nowhere to connect it to in the installation box. Does anyone know if I can just wire it up to the installation box, so that a connection is made. Or, do I have to buy a new installation box (which I don't want to do as it will mean excavating the old one out of the wall and we have just re-decorated).

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You say there is no earth wire? Then you must not use a metal switch (nor metal lamp fittings).

You lighting circuit is probably 40 years old or more (there was a time when lighting circuits were not obliged to include an earth) so it could do with being rewired.

Until this is done you must not use metal switches or lamps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back