Do i need more deck supports on this plan?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would i need more concrete blocks or posts for this job? dont know which im going to use, its only 20cm to the underside of the deck board

I will be using 4x2 for the joists and 6x2 for ledger boards

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Using 4x2? Its gonna bounce. Either use more support or go to 6x2. Even then, give it the Thermo bounce test - ie,

1. Build the frame in position
2. Walk on it
3. Add more support as required and go to step 2.....

I built decking at low level at last house, used 4x2 and used offcuts as intermediate legs approx 4ft apart, no bounce.

if i go 6x2 it would only leave 50mm to the ground and the ground is sloping so i could add 100x100x100high posts instead of blocks and some noggins ill see how it goes

Sponsored Links
Mine was to compensate for slope so only had 50mm at max. you can screw bits on easily before laying deck boards. dos'nt cost.

Forget increasing the number of slab.
At 10' you need to get yourself some noggings in there.

Use the staggered formation.
i.e.
first row 2' 4' 6' 8'.
second row 1' 3' 5' 7' 9'
third same as first
forth same as second.

what about the 12ft joists....same use noggins?

1 more question i need to attach the joists the same level as the ledger how to i attach them together without joist hangers? can i just use 3 screws and screw them diagonal and if so what size screws maybe 100mm?

Being in engineering at the time, i used threaded studs and nuts. You can use coach bolts. I used posts on the main joints and put 1 stud at 90deg to the other 2.

what about the 12ft joists....same use noggins?

1 more question i need to attach the joists the same level as the ledger how to i attach them together without joist hangers? can i just use 3 screws and screw them diagonal and if so what size screws maybe 100mm?

3 screws either side skewed into the timber will more than suffice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back