do i need oven housing or can i use existing cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my oven died the other day so I have taken it out. I am now left with a decision as to what I do now. My work surface could do with changing so I wondered whether the existing 600mm cupboard unit with drawer above (single unit not double width!) that i have in my kitchen could house a new oven and hob or do I need to slide out this unit and put in a special unit to house these items.
Your help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
No, not if the oven will fit.I always fit an extra support using say a 3"x2" under the bottom shelf to take the weight.
Also read the manufacter instruction regarding air flow vent etc.

you mention airflow - do the correct oven housing units have better airflow - i am thinking of using both electric for oven and hob.

Sponsored Links
No,normally they have a gap at the back and the air enter into the bottom plinth air vent grill and straight out at the back to the top on the tall oven housing type.
Is your oven housing under the worktop?,if so I have to admit I'm not sure about this if you need the air flow as the oven now have a built in cooling fan in which the instruction should advise you what is needed.
The electrian's on this forum might know the answer to this.

I have fitted many kitchen and never fitted oven housing under worktop as I think they're dangerous eg bending over and trip hazard if door is left down etc,this is my own opinion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back