Do I need Planning permition for a garage/workshop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there, we live in a very rural area and have a 1 acre garden and 3 acres of farmland with our cottage. I would like to build a large garage/workshop in our garden in the coming future to house my vintage tractor, 2 old land rovers and a workshop/garage. It would be L shaped and the size would be: 40ft on the long side and 35ft on the other with a width of 15ft ie works out at 86 square meters. Would have a pitched roof under 4 meters, be over 5 meters from the house. We have just had an extention done to the cottage and with the new garage we would still not have covered half of the garden by a long way with buildings. I know building regs will apply but do we need planning for this?

Sponsored Links
is it agricultural land you plan to build on !!!

probably easier to ask your local building control officer if its agricultural land the rules are different ;)

No, it is in our garden. Would also not be closer to our unclassified country lane than the house, would be more than 20 meters from the road and would be at the back of the house. We have no nabour boundaries either, closest is 60 meters away. I have scoured the net on this subject and most sites say that the size doesnt matter as long as you dont build buildings on more than 50 % of your garden.

Sponsored Links
It is much easier, and reliable, to ask your local planning authority if you need permission for this as we can only give an opinion. It is very difficult on a public forum to give a definitive answer. Better to ask the local authority, in writing, which will give you a record of their decision.

It seems like you're confusing the two planning procedures being... permitted development and a planning application. There are restrictions/limitations if you wish to carry out any works under permitted development but if those are exceeded, then it's most likely you would have to submit a planning application.

Your best bet would be to seek pre-application advice from your local authority in the form of a covering letter a site plan/floor plan, etc... Some authorities charge for this information but it can be money well spent.

Hello again, have spoken to our local planning department today with interesting news. What it says online about being able to build on upto half the area of your garden ie outbuildings is true. My planning department said it can be any sized building so long as it wasn't over 4m with a pitched roof and was more than 5 m from the house. Can be as close to the road as we like due to being very rural. But would need building regs. These facts are being sent via a signed letter through the post also. So come the summer we shall be digging foundations for a 150 square meter garage/workshop.

The planning department have given you those pointers in order to erect the building within your permitted development rights?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back