Do I need planning?...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I bought my home 2 years ago, it is a semi detached 3 bed, built in about 1910. (4.5m x 6m)
It had an extention added circa 1960 (apparently). This extention is bigger than the original house. At 6m x 6m

It has a second extention/ 'lean too' which has been added on the 1st extension. This was built circa 1980 and is 5m x 3.5m

The second extension is a single skin brick construction, and was generally poorly built, but the foundations seam properly done.

I wish to rebuild the second extension, but modify the design to include more glass, and also ideally extend the 1 m to the side that is wasted space (its 5m wide not 6m like the rest of the house, for no apparent reason!

Do I need planning?

Sponsored Links
Once you demolish a structure it's no longer there, there's just an empty space hence you then need PP to put something in its place. Tis a policy that's caught out many.

Sponsored Links
Even though the foundations don't change? I.e. I'm only knocking the walls down + rebuilding them.

In an nutshell: Demolition is development - although in reality it's way more complicated than that.

The current structure is falling apart. The roof leaks and the walls are unstable. I can't see it as right that I need planning to fix it! Mad.

You're not gonna fix it though are you. You're gonna remove it and build something in its place.

I wish to rebuild the second extension, but modify the design to include more glass, and also ideally extend the 1 m to the side that is wasted space (its 5m wide not 6m like the rest of the house, for no apparent reason.............The current structure is falling apart. The roof leaks and the walls are unstable. I can't see it as right that I need planning to fix it! Mad.

Fix it my foot.;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back