Do I need stabilising solution on ext wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning on painting the exterior walls to a house. Not sure of correct name for surface - it's a textured render with stone chips in it. My problem is I'm not sure if I need to treat with stabilising solution before painting. It has some sand-like material which can be rubbed off with my finger.

I've tried brushing, but this still leaves a lot of the sandy material, and I'm planning on pressure washing it as well. Would this suffice?
From reading other threads it seems like adding stabilising solution if it's not needed can cause problems.

As additional information, some of the walls have actually already had a first coat a couple of years ago (by someone else) using B&Q trade smooth masonry paint, without any stabilising solution or brushing or washing. They mostly look OK, albeit needing another coat, but some bits have chipped of in places.

Sponsored Links
try PVC glue - you can get it by the gallon. Need to mix into water - I've used this before and stopped flaking/dust etc

PVA isn't good buddies with paint. Better off with masonry paint watered down 25%.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back