Do I need Steel for this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I wonder if I could ask 2 questions?
1. Would anyone know if I’m going to need steel in this floor structure? I’m planning on a loft conversion as the floor structure is, without the need for steel supports. The wall in pic is a supporting wall (I’ve checked this with builder who looked at footings before). The ends of the timbers are resting on house wall. The house is your typical 1930’s semi-detached with hip end roof. I’m hoping for permission for hip to gable (not a hip dormer) and a dormer at the rear. 2. My 2nd question then would be, I know a steel truss would be needed if a dormer was built at the rear, and obviously the steel truss would run from party wall to new gable wall. But if only a hip dormer is permissible, the steel truss would run from party wall to where? It couldn’t be supported on a timber constructed hip dormer so how would that work? Does anyone have any links to this layout? I've posted this in building forum also as I have 2 questions which relate to each other. I live in Wales and have already used up my PD allowance (':(')

Many thanks in advance,
Datadiyer.
View media item 91225 :cry:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back