hipped to gabled loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i am very new to this but i would like to do a hip to gable loft conversion with a rear dormer. will this be possible due to every other house in the near vicinity having a hipped roof? will i need to get planning permission?

Sponsored Links
Opinion is divided this was a recent thread discussing it: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=215954 and here is what you can and cannot do under Permitted Development (ie without applying for Full Planning Permission): http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/roof/

I would recommend you seek clarification from your local Planning Office.

In any case personally if you were my client I would recommend you apply for a Certificate of Lawful Development: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/next/lawfuldevelopmentcertificate

thank you for the information. As i understand it now, if x = total current loft area then planning permission is not required if the additional space created is not more than 40m3. So any addition of dormers, gabled roof will create that additional space and i can do this under permitted development..i just need to get a certificate of lawful developement or householder enquiry?

kindest regards

pradeep

A householder enquiry is just that, an enquiry. They may just state matter of fact that it does not need Planning Permission then again they may say they are unsure and recommend you apply for a LDC, I don't know. In any case they will likely have a disclaimer stating that it does not reflect an official view of the Planning Department so will have little legal worth. Whereas a Lawful Development Certificate is legal. So depending on their response you must make a judgement as to whether you consider applying for a LDC is worth it or not. In the first instance I would not bother with anything online anyway, I would contact them by telephone and ask to speak to the duty officer and explain what you want to do and remember to keep them sweet! Offer to email them a photo or two and maybe an extract from Google Earth showing the house location. If they sound positive try to get something in writing or email.

Sponsored Links
do u know how much the fee for the LDC might be? The householder enquiry is £70 and to apply for planning is £150

do u know how much the fee for the LDC might be? The householder enquiry is £70 and to apply for planning is £150
Oh I see what you mean by Housholder enquiry, yes that is what is known as Pre-Planning advice and is a report giving you recommendations/opinion as to whether your application would be Permitted Development or require planning permission and whether they would recommend it for approval or not. AFAIK the fee for an LDC is £75.

thats really appreciated thank you. I have i more question though, should i just go ahead and apply for planning? Its only £150 but is it possible the planning officers may decide to reject my proposal when they may allow it in permitted development?

No they would just refuse it if it warranted refusal they won't grant you an LDC unless you apply for one. As mentioned
In the first instance I would contact them by telephone and ask to speak to the duty officer and explain what you want to do and remember to keep them sweet! Offer to email them a photo or two and maybe an extract from Google Earth showing the house location. If they sound positive try to get something in writing or email.
and go from there.

if i apply for planning permisson then that should have everything and be the only legal documentation i require yes?

kindest regards

pradeep

I think the OP is getting a little confused.

Firstly, the fee's for a LDC are £75 (before works have commenced) or £150 (during or after the works have commenced).

The fee for a householder application is £150.

The fee's for "pre-application advice" (i.e. an enquiry) vary between LPA's. Some offer free advice while others can charge anything from £25.

When you refer to a householder enquiry, it seems as if you're referring to a householder application. An enquiry and application are two completely different things.

Hi Pradeep,

I have had plans drawn up and given a certificate of lawfulness under PD for a loft conversion. It involves a hip to gable and rear dormers. As long as you follow all the criteria for lofts under PD guidelines then you don't need PP.

I would avoid PP if you can.

Well there ya go, maybe you could send pradeep39 a link to your application online, (and me to my email in my profile too please :p ;) ) then if he gets unstuck talking to the planners he can use your case as a precedent.

Hip to a gable conversions can actually be permitted development now - whereas under the previous PD rules they required permission - which was often refused

The only restriction is that the volume of the new part of the roof must not exceed 40m3 or 50m3 depending on the type of property.

So as long as the additional space created does not exceed 40m3 (cause my house is semi-detached) i will not need PP. All the posts have been extremely helpful, especially the last few.
I will do some ringing around tomorrow and hopefully it will all be clarified.

Indus, as Freddymecurystwin suggested, would you be able to post the link for your PD please? I could send this with my enquiry as proof if required and thanks for clarifying woody.

kindest regards

pradeep

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back