Understand the planning process.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some years ago I applied for planning permission for a hip to gable with a dormer, plus the demolition and rebuilding of a single storey extension.

The council refused permission on the grounds the hip to gable would spoil the symmetry of the nearby semi detached properties. Because of this I dropped the hip to gable and was subsequently given permission for the ground floor extension.

This was two years ago and no work has been undertaken due to other reasons. Recently a neighbor has had the same hip to gable+ dormer work approved by the council.

I now wish to re-apply for the same hip to gable+ dormer work but need to understand how I should go about this given I was granted permission for the ground floor extension. I ask this because I noticed my neighbor applied for a Certificate of Lawfulness, which I didn't. Would I be correct in thinking I need to start a fresh planning application and send in a Certificate of Lawfulness stating the loft conversion work comes under PD?

Any help would be appreciated as my architect was totally useless and was impossible to get answers from. As it was I was never told about a Certificate of Lawfulness or the hip to gable would come under permitted development.

Rob

Sponsored Links
A hip to gable loft conversion can be permitted development provided it meets all the relevant criteria. It is a matter of sitting down for an hour or so and reading the technical guidance to make sure the volume, dimensions, materials etc. all meet the requirements. If one of your neighbours already has an LDC then it sounds very much like it will be PD.

If it is permitted development then you can just crack on and build it (subject to Building Regulations approval). However, if you are of a cautious disposition like me and you want a piece of paper from the Council confirming it is permitted development then you would apply for a Lawful Development Certificate, it is entirely up to you. You would only apply for planning permission if the work was outside of the permitted development rules.

If this turns in to one of those "get a LDC for something that is PD" threads, I'm going to flip.

Well Woody we aren't all confident and forthright like you. Some of us are more timid and cautious.

I thought I was very even handed, I gave the OP the chance not to apply for an LDC if he didn't want too. Besides, it's far too hot for a wrestle.

Sponsored Links
A hip to gable loft conversion can be permitted development provided it meets all the relevant criteria. It is a matter of sitting down for an hour or so and reading the technical guidance to make sure the volume, dimensions, materials etc. all meet the requirements. If one of your neighbours already has an LDC then it sounds very much like it will be PD.

If it is permitted development then you can just crack on and build it (subject to Building Regulations approval). However, if you are of a cautious disposition like me and you want a piece of paper from the Council confirming it is permitted development then you would apply for a Lawful Development Certificate, it is entirely up to you. You would only apply for planning permission if the work was outside of the permitted development rules.

Thanks for getting back to me.

I have been careful enough to ensure the loft conversion will meet all the criteria.

My only concern was them originally refusing planning permission because the hip to gable would spoil the symmetry of the nearby semi detached properties. Can they not still do such a thing even if it comes under PD?

In other words, was the council able to refuse planning because I failed to mention it was to be done under PD, even though they knew it could be done that way?

If this turns in to one of those "get a LDC for something that is PD" threads, I'm going to flip.

I can fully understand your frustration if this is something you know well. Unfortunately, I’m not so knowledgeable and to me it’s a confusing process. The building isn't going to be cheap to do so I need to know I’m not going to get a letter from the council demanding I rip it down because I missed something :)

No. Planners generally hate hip to gable conversions for that very reason and if you give them half a chance they will try to stop it.

However, it is a strange anomaly that they are allowed under permitted development so provided you are confident the work meets the PD rules there is not a damn thing the planners can do.

Woodys comment was aimed at me not you, it is an ongoing disagreement on LDC's we have hence the reference to wrestling.

This is how the last thread about LDC's ended with woody and wessex:

Women-in-Love-Oliver-Reed-001.jpg

It was really rather unpleasant!

No. Planners generally hate hip to gable conversions for that very reason and if you give them half a chance they will try to stop it.

However, it is a strange anomaly that they are allowed under permitted development so provided you are confident the work meets the PD rules there is not a damn thing the planners can do.

Woodys comment was aimed at me not you, it is an ongoing disagreement on LDC's we have hence the reference to wrestling.

I had an idea this might have been the case with the council, and reading your reply has helped me understand the process and what is going on with them.

Your help on clarify this has been very much appreciated.

Thank you

That was all about Glenda Jackson, not planning. Glenda and I have been quite happy ever since.

@op, just to add to the above and confirm; a hip-to-gable IS permitted development, but if you add it to an application for an un-connected extension which does need planning permission, they will refuse the whole lot.
Whoever drew your plans and advised gave bad advice.

I love Woody really, I'm his biggest fan. LDC's are the only thing we disagree on.

Not sure why Freddie has come over all innocent, I seem to recall he was getting stuck in as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back