Do I need tile trims?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just ordered my new bathroom tiles, very pale sandy coloured ceramic, with dark grey to go in the shower.

What I haven't ordered is any tile trims.

We have them in our current bathroom, plastic ones, and they are ok, never really had an opinion on them before, but now I come to spend nearly £1500 on new tiles, I'm wondering if that's what I really want to finish off the edges.
I've seen the metal edging, and it wouldn't go with the tiles we have chosen.

Is there an alternative? The tile range does have an edging tile, but it's too thick and 'decorative' for what we want, and doesn't really solve the problem of the recesses edges, or the bath panel.

I have read on here that some people don't bother with trims, if anyone has any pictures of that I'd be grateful for a look as can't recall ever seeing that in real life.

Also, as we are putting up some stud walls in the bathroom, would we need to have something on the external edges?

I'm not doing the tiling myself but won't be meeting the guys in person for a while and I'm getting very confused!

Sponsored Links
Ceramic tiles generally look better with an edging because they are not the same colour throughout and you can see the glazing.

There a lot of options, coloured or white plastics, metals etc.

The alternative is to use grout and create a sloped effect with that.

Plastic tile trim is cheap/nasty crap, dont use it. On external corners, mitred tile edges are the ultimate IMO but can be difficult to achieve if you’re DIY. For finishing on flat walls, just paint the tile edge the same colour as the wall, it’s simple & is very effective ulness you want to use more expensive borders/ finishing strips. I wouldn’t bother trying to create a sloping edge with grout it will look totally naff & very DIY, Just leave it flat & paint it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice- where might I find the better sort of trim, just for reference? I'm not doing the tiling myself, I'm paying someone else to to it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back