do i need to change "chipped" cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i was hoping some electricians can advise me on a concern i have. I was removing skirting today and I accidently "chipped" a cable behind one of the bits of wood. I few sparks came off when the chisel hit the wire. Ive had a close look at the cable and the copper wire on black/neutral wire is very slightly exposed, possibly making contact with the unsheathed earth wire. I'm worried it could be a fire risk.

I've temporarily wrapped it in insulating tape, Will i need to cut out that bit of cable or put a junction box or something similar around the damaged cable? Or will wrapping it in insulating tape be sufficient.

Sponsored Links
No, you can't just tape it up and leave it.

Well done for seeking advice though.

And you probably can't use a junction box if it's going to be re-buried behind skirting.

I'm not an electrician so wait for proper answers.

Much depends on the damage but self amalgamating tape can some times be used to repair cables but over time this can compress and warp so over the top of the self amalgamating tape often we put standard insulation tape.

There are also shrink sleeves with epoxy resin inside and the heat gun can produce a very good repair.

However often in a house this is not required as the cable can often be renewed cheaper than repaired.

Crimped joints using butt connectors or soldered using old Weston Role method can also be used.

This is not really a DIY job. No one on a forum can advise as to what your repair requires it is really a case of get an electrician to do the work.

One of the problems with DIY is testing. The equipment required is expensive so in real terms to do a safe job you don't really have an option.

Cable shouldn't be behind the skirting anyway.

The cable will have to be replaced or a new section cut in and soldered or crimped.

Sponsored Links
Much depends on the damage but self amalgamating tape can some times be used to repair cables but over time this can compress and warp so over the top of the self amalgamating tape often we put standard insulation tape.
Shouldn't that be the other way round thus rendering the 'standard insulating tape' unnecessary and useless?

What will the 'standard insulating tape' look like when the self amalgamating has 'worn out'?

So with cables running under the floor, and sockets on the wall above the skirting board, you'd advocate bringing the cables up over the surface of the skirting?

Would you continue on the surface all the way to the socket, or would it be OK for the cable to be buried in the wall once clear of the skirting?

Ive had a close look at the cable and the copper wire on black/neutral wire is very slightly exposed, possibly making contact with the unsheathed earth wire.
You should consider doing something about your lack of RCD protection.

So with cables running under the floor, and sockets on the wall above the skirting board, you'd advocate bringing the cables up over the surface of the skirting?

Would you continue on the surface all the way to the socket, or would it be OK for the cable to be buried in the wall once clear of the skirting?

It shouldn't be horizontal behind the skirting.

If it's running vertically to a visible accessory then chippies shouldn't be putting their chisels there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back