main supply cable slightly chipped

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While digging down in my front garden (to weatherproof building before resurfacing with chippings etc) I noticed the electricity cable has been chipped slightly just before entering building (either done with a spade or chisel, and either done by me or was like that in the first place
The cable is the type which is surrounded by metal (I assume the earthing system). The metal is broken by a 'slot' about just over 1/2 cm in length. An inner black material can then be seen (I am assuming this is an extra layer which surrounds live and neutral, and not in fact the neutral itself) At no point can yopu see any bare live or neutral copper cable).
1) is it ok as it is - and can just be cemented over
2) is it ok but needs binding with tape (to ensure weather proofing)
3) do I need to call someone out, and would this be free
Some reassurance would be very much appreciated.
The 'better safe than sorry' type person would always recommend yes to qu 3 I know, but I am hoping this wont be necessary
thanks

Sponsored Links
Is this the main supply cable or one to an outbuilding?

What you describe sounds like armoured cable: if so, it is your responsibility.

If you are digging and have damaged the supply cable, the DNO/REC will charge you to rectify. And it's NOT cheap.

If you have damaged the armour, and the armour is acting as the earthing conductor (TN-S) then you might want to get a sparky in to confirm that the Ze is still within limits.

securespark said:
Is this the main supply cable or one to an outbuilding?
Yes its the main supply cable
I live in a mid terrace
very small front garden - only about a metre or so from front room window to pavement
damage is just outside house

Sponsored Links
Is it your doing?

In any case, whoever damaged it, it will need inspecting & rectifying if necessary. The electricity company may charge you for this.

securespark said:
Is it your doing?
I'm honestly not sure, but I get your point that that's irrelevant...
I'd just feel less stupid if it wasnt me
In some ways I wish I hadnt seen it, as I tend to be a bit of a worrier

got an electrician out.. who didnt feel he could 'pass it'[fair enough]
EDF were very good ...sent someone the same day, he said cable may need to be replaced (fro free)
Anyway Monday they came to do the work and put a nice new sleeve on cable and deemed it safe
I can now sleep secure in the knowledge that the experts have looked at it
Thanks to those who replied
Derek

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back