Do I need to close the cavity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently removed a back door and windows with a small wall underneath it, knocking through to an extension, but i am now unsure what to do with the exposed cavities, there is a main one which is 50mm wide from the wall which was knocked out, the cavity on the floor and a slim one from the removal of the door and window, any help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Current recommended practice is not to close the cavity with masonry but to use an insulated cavity closer. If you can't get one the right size a good alternative would be mineral wool (or inject foam as long as you can do it in a controlled way) with a vertical length of dpc. Also check the wall ties. There should be a tie for every course of block within 225mm of the opening. If there are any large areas without ties I'd add a couple.

Thanks john

How about the floor, would I just leave the cavity exposed as it is, and continue the kitchen flooring through?.

Sponsored Links
Thanks john

How about the floor, would I just leave the cavity exposed as it is, and continue the kitchen flooring through?.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back