Do I need to connect to a BT413A

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A customer had an office built in his garden and converted his old indoor office into a bedroom. I did the electrics for the new office and whilst there he asked if I did phones as he wanted a phone line for his fax and, telephone. I am not an expert but have done extensions at home and knew that you used 2,3 & 5 and as long as the colours matched both sides you were ok. His PC in the office is wireless with the router staying in the bedroom attached to a filter.
His old office had a new BT Box (seperate line to his home line) so I pulled out the bottom bit and connected a new line to the terminals and did the same in a new extention box in the office.
However his son wants to use the internet in the new bedroom. His PC isn't wireless so is hard wired to the router.
Everything works fine in the office. The phone and fax work off a filter and he gets a good wireless signal from the router.
His son can access the internet in the bedroom, however, should the phone or fax be used in the office the internet connection is dropped in the bedroom.
Is this because I have hard wired the extension into the back of a box so in effect the signal is not going through a filter in the boys bedroom? If so, is the way round it to attach my extension cable to a BT413A and plug it into the filter in the bedroom?
If so, how easy is it to attach cable to a BT413A and how do you reconcile the 2,3,5 to the plug?

Sponsored Links
do you have a filter on the phone in the office? if not add one!

Have you run a extension into the boys bedroom or is he using a long ethernet cable ? and you need a filter on the master and extension socket

Sponsored Links
do you have a filter on the phone in the office? if not add one!

He said he had but it transpires he was using a double to single converter instead!!

and disconnect pin3

I am never sure whether to use pin 3 or not, could pin 3 being affecting things then?

According to the customer the broadband provider has said that the extension I have taken out of the back of the BT box should be plugged into the filter at the front of the box.

[
and disconnect pin3

I am never sure whether to use pin 3 or not, could pin 3 being affecting things then?

According to the customer the broadband provider has said that the extension I have taken out of the back of the BT box should be plugged into the filter at the front of the box.

yes disconnect pin3, BB needs to be balanced and pin3 just adds half as much distance again on one leg. The BB provider is just covering their backs against a claim from joe public that they (the BB co) somehow broke the phone LOL

If its a openreach nte you don`t need to remove the bell wire as the nte has a built in bell wire filter,if there was no filter just a piggy backed double connector then that will be why the bb was dropping out when the phone was used.(just looked at the diagram the phone and fax are not filtered,thats the problem)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back