do i need to get my chimney (re?)lined?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have purchased an Edwardian (circa 1910) end of terrace houseand am carrying out a complete renovation. I've just started the living room and have removed the boxing from around the fireplace that must have been there for about 50 years.

the origional cast iron fire surround is in place but there is a massive mountain of crud in the grate. looking up the chimney i can see that there is some what looks like lime plaster on the lower parts of the chimney , that has come off in places.

My intention is to restore the origional fire place and continue to burn coal and wood. Do i need to get my chimney relined?

Any advide is much appreciated i can only find info on woodburners nothing on open fires.

Matt

Sponsored Links
Not unusual to get some spalled brick & old muck down a flue that old. If the outside looks ok then I wouldnt bother relining unless your going for a wood burner or something that cooks at a high rate. Best way is to have a look if poss up or down the flue. Or as Nose says get a sweep to have a bash.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back