Do I need to move existing wiring to comply?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my bathroom wall, there are two vertical cables (1.5mm twin + earth) for the upstairs lighting ( 3 floor house, bathroom on second floor) They are just in the middle of the wall and I did not know they were there till the bathroom tiler drilled through one. These are not in any of the permitted zones for wiring as shown on the wiki page.
The house was built in '65 and i am sure they are original.
I am going to change the CU and add some more sockets in the house so should I add this to the list too as it seems like quite a bit of work to move them to a permitted zone.

Sponsored Links
You probably know now, from experience why there are safe zones to run cables. Yes you could use metal conduit or run the cable in, if I remember well, minimum 50mm depth from any surface

Had I known about this a few weeks ago, I would have put in metal conduit. However it has all been tiled over now. I think I will have to find another route up and replace the wiring.

Was it in the regulations in 1965 that wiring had to be in the zones, or could it go anywhere on older houses? i.e am I likely to find any other nasty surprises like this one?

InTheBeginning2007 said:
Had I known about this a few weeks ago, I would have put in metal conduit. ?

Has to be EARTHED metal conduit, purly mechanical protection <50mm is not acceptable

Sponsored Links
If they are from 1965, then they are 40+ years old :eek:

I'm no expert, but surely they are due for replacement anyway??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back