What exactly can I DIY without notifying buildings dept?

But a PIR is not covered by "extra-low voltage wiring for the purposes of communications, information technology, signalling, control and similar purposes".

However, 2B (2):

2. Work which—
(a) is not in a kitchen, or a special location,
(b) does not involve work on a special installation, and
(c) consists of—
(i) adding light fittings and switches to an existing circuit; or
(ii) adding socket outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit;

makes installing a PIR in a kitchen notifiable.

PIR - passive infra red - part of the alarm system - 12v dc - signalling, control or similar .............etc etc

nothing to do with a light fitting or switch

sorry but this is my area of knowledge

Sponsored Links
and everyone just ignores the PIR in the kitchen

What's wrong with installing a Passive Infra-Red detector in a kitchen?

schedule 2B - section 3a

Schedule 2B - section 3a said:
3. Work on -
(a) telephone wiring or extra-low voltage wiring for the purposes of communications, information
technology, signalling, control and similar purposes, where the wiring is not in a special location;

A kitchen isn't a special location as defined in section 4 so installing a PIR in a kitchen is afaict a non-notifiable activity.

defined as one somewhere though isn`t it - hence all the kitchen fitter courses

The law is very clear about what is a special location and kitches are not on the list.

The regulation about adding sockets light fittings switches etc specifically mentions kitchens, special locations and special installations. The reg about data and telecoms wiring only mentions special locations.

but anyway it sounds like the confusion here is coming from the fact that there are two different types of PIR. PIRs intended to control lighting the switch mains directly would be notifiable if installed in a kitchen. PIRs for an alarm system would not. (Alarm/data/telecoms equipment in bathroom zones or pool zones on the other hand IS notifiable and I bet that gets ignored a hell of a lot)

Sponsored Links
no the problem is people don't read the law, they read all sorts of bullsh1t guides (some produced by the government itself some produced by third parties) that do not reflect what the law itself says.

The law is very clear about what is a special location and kitches are not on the list.
Clearly not.
Why not?
The SI says: "special location" means a location within the limits of the relevant zones specified for a bath, a shower, a swimming or paddling pool or a hot air sauna in the Wiring Regulations, sixteenth edition, published by the Institution of Electrical Engineers and the British Standards Institution as BS 7671: 2001 and incorporating amendments 1 and 2."
The statutory instrument deals with 'special locations' separately to 'kitchens' and 'special installations'.

But a PIR is not covered by "extra-low voltage wiring for the purposes of communications, information technology, signalling, control and similar purposes".

However, 2B (2):

2. Work which—
(b) does not involve work on a special installation, and
(c) consists of—
(i) adding light fittings and switches to an existing circuit; or
(ii) adding socket outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit;

makes installing a PIR in a kitchen notifiable.

Sorry BAS, I should have made it clear I was meaning a PIR for an alarm system! You are correct, if it was a mains PIR for the likes of a lighting circuit then it will be notifiable.

no the problem is people don't read the law, they read all sorts of bullsh1t guides (some produced by the government itself some produced by third parties) that do not reflect what the law itself says.

or bull**** posts on idiot forums - thanks but I`ll listen to what I`m told by the inspectors and regulators if it`s all the same with you

Sorry BAS, I should have made it clear I was meaning a PIR for an alarm system! You are correct, if it was a mains PIR for the likes of a lighting circuit then it will be notifiable.
:oops: I didn't even think about alarms :oops:

As for kitchens/special locations - Schedule 2B(2) lumps them together, 2B(3) only mentions special locations.

Please tell me what you find unclear about the defination of 'special location' in Section 4 of the statutory instrument.

not defined as a special location, but included in the list of areas that needs notification for mains work...

2. Work which—

saxondale said:
I`ll listen to what I`m told by the inspectors and regulators if it`s all the same with you
:idea: Hey! You could all share the same cell when it all goes t*ts up! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back