Are these alterations notifiable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
People,

It would be greatly appreciated if someone could confirm if the following electrical alterations to my residential dwelling are notifiable or not:-

1 Fitment of an inline fan in the loft to extract air from the bathroom. The fan itself will be mounted on a board in the loft (and not mounted on the topside of the bathroom ceiling). It will be controlled by a wall mounted switch outside the bathroom and will have an overrun timer and fan isolator.
2. Fitment of shaver socket in bathroom.
3. Fitment of new bathroom lighting circuits including downlighters. There will be two separate circuits each with it’s own wall mounted switch outside the bathroom. There will be downlighters in Zones 1, 2 and 3 which are all Zone 1 spec.
4. Fitment of underfloor heating mat in bathroom. There will be a new spur created from the upstairs ring which will be used to feed the control module which will be positioned outside of the bathroom.
5. Fitment of mirror with lighting in bathroom.
6. Additional sockets to upstairs circuit. These maybe either spurs or additional sockets in the ring.
7. Fitment of new lighting circuits in bedroom.

Many Thanks

Need Help21

Sponsored Links
The bathroom is treated as a special location so almost all new work (other than direct replacement) requires LABC notification under Part P.

1. Probably - it will depend on whether this is a new or replacement fan and I assume that it will be positioned somewhere within the bathroom area.
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. Yes must meet the IP ratings and within the correct zones.
6. no.
7. New circuits require notification - extentions to existing circuits do not.

Check out this for further info:

http://www.sefton.gov.uk/pdf/BC Electrical Safety .pdf

1. Probably - it will depend on whether this is a new or replacement fan and I assume that it will be positioned somewhere within the bathroom area.
Why assume that when the OP has said it won't be?

Depends where it is - see //www.diynot.com/wiki/electric...location-zones-in-relation-to-notifiable-work

Ditto.

Check out this for further info:

http://www.sefton.gov.uk/pdf/BC Electrical Safety .pdf[/QUOTE]
Or better still check out Schedule 2B of the actual law.

Nothing I had said here is incorrect - the redirection I offered the OP is succinct and also correct.

The bottom line is that if any of the work is notifiable in a special location then you might as well notify the lot. Then the LABC will check your work.

BAS you have added zero this debate.

Sponsored Links
Nothing I had said here is incorrect
Your answers to (2) and (5) might have been.

the redirection I offered the OP is succinct and also correct.
No it is not.

The bottom line is that if any of the work is notifiable in a special location then you might as well notify the lot.
That is true.

Then the LABC will check your work.
Not necessarily, that depends on where the OP is, many LABCs do not check.

BAS you have added zero this debate.
Please explain how providing more accurate answers or links to more accurate documents adds nothing.

thanks for your help people. I have spoke to and notified by local building control of the required items.

thanks for your help people. I have spoke to and notified by local building control of the required items.

Are you planning to notify the authority and do this work yourself?

If so be very sure what the authority require from you at the end, some authorities will not sign off without paperwork from an electrician. Worth checking thoroughly before you go down this route.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back