Which of this notifiable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Can anyone tell me please, which of the following is notifiable?
1. Replacing a single pendant light in a bathroom with LED downlighters.
2. Replacing an old extractor fan above a shower with a new one.
3. Installing an LED mirror in the bathroom using a feed which previously fed a combined light/shaver socket.
4. Installing an electronic mixer valve in an integral garage to feed the shower in the bathroom above.
5. Replacing a consumer unit.
6. Installing a controller (outside the bathroom) for wet underfloor heating in the bathroom.

Is there a time-limit for notifying and if it doesn't get done, who gets in trouble, the homeowner, main contractor or the subbie who did the work?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
I love a quiz and I have absolutely no idea, sorry, but I’m guessing 5, 6 and house owner. Just for fun!

The time limit is up to before you start the work.
The home owner is responsible.
As far as I know no one has yet been done for not notifying.

Sponsored Links
Can anyone tell me please, which of the following is notifiable?
1. Replacing a single pendant light in a bathroom with LED downlighters.
2. Replacing an old extractor fan above a shower with a new one.
3. Installing an LED mirror in the bathroom using a feed which previously fed a combined light/shaver socket.
4. Installing an electronic mixer valve in an integral garage to feed the shower in the bathroom above.
5. Replacing a consumer unit.
6. Installing a controller (outside the bathroom) for wet underfloor heating in the bathroom.
[all assuming that you are in England]

(1) and (2) would be notifiable if less than 2.25m above the finished floor level of the bathroom. Whether notifiable or not, there would be a requirement that the circuit be RCD-protected.

(3) would not be notifiable if more than 600mm horizontally from bath/shower, but if that were not the case, then it might well not even be allowed.

(4) would not be notifiable unless it involved a 'new circuit' (from the CU). As a matter of interest, what is an 'electronic mixer valve'?

(5) is definitely notifiable.

(6) would not be notifiable unless it involved a new circuit (which I imagine it wouldn't).

Is there a time-limit for notifying
Unless the work is done by a 'registered' ('self-certifying/notifying') electrician, it has to be notified before the work commences.

Kind Regards, John

Thank you all for your responses.

[all assuming that you are in England]

(1) and (2) would be notifiable if less than 2.25m above the finished floor level of the bathroom. Whether notifiable or not, there would be a requirement that the circuit be RCD-protected.

Nope, all good.

(3) would not be notifiable if more than 600mm horizontally from bath/shower, but if that were not the case, then it might well not even be allowed.

All good here too.

(4) would not be notifiable unless it involved a 'new circuit' (from the CU). As a matter of interest, what is an 'electronic mixer valve'?
Spur from sockets, so all ok. It was one of these.
https://www.mirashowers.co.uk/showe...num-dual-rear-fed-high-pressure-combi-boiler/

(5) is definitely notifiable.

Thought so.

(6) would not be notifiable unless it involved a new circuit (which I imagine it wouldn't).

No, also a spur.

Unless the work is done by a 'registered' ('self-certifying/notifying') electrician, it has to be notified before the work commences.

It was done by a pro (subbie of the main contractor), so I assume that makes #5 ok? You can tell by my questions that I wouldn't go near it myself! I was out all day, missus was at home, he told her the consumer unit needed replacing and she agreed for him to do it. It was all done by the time I got back - I'm guessing it's not uncommon for work to start then it later becomes apparent that something more substantial needs doing so needs to be done relatively quickly. He's done a tidy job to be fair and I'm very happy with it, I'm mainly just trying to educate myself. Should I have asked for/received some kind of certification once it was complete?

Thanks again!

Yes, you (or possibly the main contractor) should get some test results.

Have you got any pictures?

If done by scheme member you get a compliance certificate and if LABC you get completion certificate within 14 days. You should also get direct an installation certificate, if the person or his van had any logo to show scheme member then he is the one who would get in trouble for not notifying, but if he has not done anything to make you think he is a scheme member then it is the owner who would get in trouble, I have been there, with a wet room install we took over the job when builder ran off, thinking the builder had registered the work, I informed the LABC we were taking over the job, only to find he had not registered the work, and because it was a change of use, toilet and pantry to wet room, we needed planning permission, because it was being done for my mothers disability, she was an amputee, there was no charge, however had that not been the case it could have cost a lot of money.

Had I know the builder had not applied for planning permission I would have said nothing, but I thought already applied for and granted.

As to problems not following rules, likely will need to take out insurance when you sell house to cover any faults found, and if anyone gets injured then up to courts to decide, but unless some one injured who will know?

I'm not surprised by the time it's taken to replace a consumer unit if there aren't many circuits on it, but have those circuits been fully tested prior to it being completed ?

It was done by a pro (subbie of the main contractor), so I assume that makes #5 ok?
It would be OK IF he were a self-certifying/notifying electrician and if he DID notify the work within 30 days of its completion, but then you should have ended up with some confirmatory paperwork. If you don't have it, can you contact him and ask what actually happened?

Kind Regards, John

Thank you all for your responses.

It was done by a pro (subbie of the main contractor), so I assume that makes #5 ok? You can tell by my questions that I wouldn't go near it myself! I was out all day, missus was at home, he told her the consumer unit needed replacing and she agreed for him to do it. It was all done by the time I got back - I'm guessing it's not uncommon for work to start then it later becomes apparent that something more substantial needs doing so needs to be done relatively quickly. He's done a tidy job to be fair and I'm very happy with it, I'm mainly just trying to educate myself. Should I have asked for/received some kind of certification once it was complete?

Thanks again!

Unless the old CU was really old I think it's unlikely that it *needed* replacing. You aren't adding any more circuits so it's not a space issue. It's very likely that it wasn't up to modern regs but that doesn't matter - consumer units don't suddenly become dangerous because the regs change. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with the new install or that you don't have a better setup now - but it has a smell about it that the plan was always going to be to replace it using the excuse that it doesn't comply with the latest regs. The regs get changed every few years so this will almost always be the case - however it only needs to comply with the regs when it was installed and be safe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back