What exactly can I DIY without notifying buildings dept?

saxondale said:
we have guidance from our trade regulators and assesers sumed up as " additions, alterations and extensions do not need notifying unless in a special location and fixed to the outside of a dwelling isnt a special location...."
That's nice. I trust that your insurance covers you for breaking the law when your excuse is no better than "someone else said it was right".

and I`m breaking the law - where exactly?

as much as you dont like it the three things I listed are non notifiable

Sponsored Links
saxondale said:
If you don't know where you're working then stop a passer-by and get the address.

I neither like nor dislike "it". If you're convinced that you've done nothing wrong then that's fine with me. I've already reconciled myself to the fact that you have no explanation for believing that the Building Regulations are not law, and then doing a U turn smack bang in the middle of the topic without signalling your intention or looking over your shoulder.

saxondale said:
If you don't know where you're working then stop a passer-by and get the address.

I neither like nor dislike "it". If you're convinced that you've done nothing wrong then that's fine with me. I've already reconciled myself to the fact that you have no explanation for believing that the Building Regulations are not law, and then doing a U turn smack bang in the middle of the topic without signalling your intention or looking over your shoulder.

funny - the line about the address - had me in stitches

sorry thought I`d explained the error about not been law - I meant the wiring regs but didnt actually say that, by the time I came to edit it I couldnt.

bulkhead lights ( or similar type where the cable enters the fitting directly ) are then according to you not notifiable?

sounds fair..

however i then put it to you that the OP's question of whether the fitting of a PIR floodlight IS notifiable because the cable exits the dwelling before entering the light fitting.. ?

and to answer the OP's original question, i think items 9 thru 14 are notifiable.. though you dont mention a location for items 1,2,3,7 and 8, so they may be, depending on location..

I appear to be one of those professionals that is unclear of the exact interpretation of part P of the building regs as I don't do domestic, only industrial / commercial where part P does not apply, so have not needed to study them in great depth..

Saxondale, you say you install alarm boxes regularly.. these are neither outside lighting nor outside power and are therefore not "special installations"..

Sponsored Links
ColJack said:
Saxondale, you say you install alarm boxes regularly.. these are neither outside lighting nor outside power and are therefore not "special installations"..
Oh, don't give the game away, CJ. :p

LOL - you`ll see from BAS`s list " telecoms,signal etc etc ...." are excempt UNLESS there in a special location in which case they need notifying thats why the anomoly was clarified in the "2006 update..?" which also released outside lights but not sockets - wierd that

:rolleyes:

images

images

No (sigh), the second one is the elbow.

was clarified in the "2006 update..?" which also released outside lights but not sockets - wierd that

can you please clarify this last statement....?

what "2006 update.."? the BR or your schemes guidance notes?

and what do you mean by "released outside lights"?, that they are exempt from notification?

was clarified in the "2006 update..?" which also released outside lights but not sockets - wierd that

can you please clarify this last statement....?

what "2006 update.."? the BR or your schemes guidance notes?

and what do you mean by "released outside lights"?, that they are exempt from notification?

can I find it (no not my elbow) but someone will know the numbers, there was an update/ clarification from the IEE a couple of years ago - can I be bothered to find it ? nah not really

So said:
Someone did something, some years ago, to clarify a thing that I can't remember, or that I can't be bothered to be specific about.
I'm sure that the judge will be very specific with your sentence.

So said:
Someone did something, some years ago, to clarify a thing that I can't remember, or that I can't be bothered to be specific about.
I'm sure that the judge will be very specific with your sentence.

see you just can`t accept that someone can know things and do things without having to know the exact ref paragraph and sub section of the top of their heads - like I`ve said we do it, it gets assesed and inspected bi-annually and it isnt breaking any law, its real life

so whats you obsestion with judges - something you wanna admit maybe ?

saxondale said:
see you just can`t accept that someone can know things and do things without having to know the exact ref paragraph and sub section of the top of their heads
But you're not talking off the top of your head. You're sitting at a computer with ready access, via the Internet, to a wealth of information. If you don't know where to find, and therefore haven't read, the legislation that defines what you're legally allowed to do, then you're really not qualified to advise people on this topic.

like I`ve said we do it, it gets assesed and inspected bi-annually and it isnt breaking any law, its real life
Well, my real life includes knowing when and why I've done something illegal. Yours clearly involves working blind. Each to his own.

so whats you obsestion with judges - something you wanna admit maybe ?
Assuming that you mean "obsession", WTF are you talking about?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back