Do I need to protect partial fill cavity wall from rainfall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am building a garden studio with partial fill cavity walls and am using celotex cavity boards.

Do I need to cover the top of the cavity as I build to prevent the cavity from filling up with rain water and to stop the celotex from getting wet?

Also will the celotex warp if it gets wet?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Don't know what the manufacturer's recommendation is, but I had 6 boards of celotex-equivalent stored outside all through this winter, one end resting inside my partially-constructed extension (which quickly turned into a swimming pool when the rain started), and the boards that got wet were indistinguishable from new ones when I came to install them this spring.

And I certainly hope we're not supposed to keep the cavities covered, because I haven't been doing it. :)

unless you have waterproof bricks your cavity cant fill up with water,,,if it holds abit of water it will soon absorb or evaporate

celotex can get wet without damage being caused,,,as stated above you can store it outside

when bricklaying/blocklaying in wet weather its good practice to cover your walls with Hessian fabric so when you start laying again your on a dry course,,also stops rain from making fresh mortar running down your wall

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back