Do I need to screed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

As the latest part of my diy adventure is to lay a new floor. I was wondering, do I need a screed or can I get a suitable mix of concrete to allow me not to have one.

I have put down insulation, dpm and 100mm hardcore, I have 150mm left to play with. I cant decide whether to order 100mm concrete, readymixed and then screed or just to lay 150mm concrete. The room is only 3x2 meters in size.

A laminate floor will be put on top of this. Any thoughts, really appreciate it.

Cheers
Ed

Sponsored Links
the benefit of screed is that it is a dry cement mix, and therefore much easier to level then concrete with all the stones in it

that is why they do a screed floor then it is as smooth as a babies bottom

you will not get that with concrete

that is why they do a screed floor then it is as smooth as a babies bottom

Hmm, could you please tell that to all builders?? Have to see a smooth as a babies bottom floor yet, no matter if they use concrete, screed or a combination of.

edofbristol: be aware of drying times of concrete/screed before you start installing any floor coverings. It can take upto 30 days per inch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back