Do I need to seal my porcelain tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

My bathroom is now done and all tiled with 30x60 porcelain tiles. These are not textured or fancy, but a matt looking black (floor) and beige (wall) tiles bought from B&Q.

Am I right in thinking that I must seal these, which will essentially protect and waterproof both the tiles and the grout and stop staining etc?

Can anyone advise on seals and applications? I don't want to change the matt appearance they have or give them a shine?

Not quite sure how I'd apply it without getting it on the bath and worktop etc

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Generally polished & matt porcelain needs sealing but not all, what does the tile manufacturer recommend? If you’re not sure, do an absorption test; put some water on the tile and leave it for about 20 minutes then wipe off. If the surface shows a darker marking on the surface then you should seal.
http://www.tilecleaning.co.uk/SealingProducts.html#Sealers-Choice-Gold
http://www.extensive.co.uk/?gclid=CJGm4tHagqkCFYFB4QodFTlgRg
Just to be sure do a test on the tile first.

Hope you didn’t use white grout on the floor tiles ;)

Thanks Richard,

I will do the test, but have a feeling that the tiles them selves probably don't need sealing, but thought that sealign the grout may be worth it. Then again, no point doing all this if it's not required.

Sponsored Links
if needed sealing then you would of done so before grouting.......

if the grout hasnt stained tiles then shouldnt need sealing, but i still seal grout in shower/bath areas as soaps, shampoos, fake tans, hair-dyes etc are used everyday and can easily stain the grout :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back