Do I need to switch the shower off?

You've never known hardware latching up in the wrong state ...
Of course but, as implied in what I've just written, only if the electronics are 'powered' :)
, nor would consider that the 'start' button of a shower might be shorted out, by water?
I suppose so (although I'm not sure that you'd get enough current through ('clean') water to activate a solenoid) - but, in any event, that would require some other, presumably non-electrical, fault to have first arisen, for water to be where it shouldn't be in the first place, wouldn't it?

Sponsored Links
Agreed, if it is purely electric driving a solenoid and a heating element then not much problem.
Quite.
Getting electronics involved in a bathroom does not always end well.
Indeed - but, unless one invoke's Sunray's scenario of something (like water) somehow bypassing the start/stop (or other 'on/off') switch, it's hard to see how anything wrong with the electronics (even if powered!) could cause the solenoid to operate.

Kind Regards, John

Of course but, as implied in what I've just written, only if the electronics are 'powered' :)

The electronics are powered.
I suppose so (although I'm not sure that you'd get enough current through ('clean') water to activate a solenoid) - but, in any event, that would require some other, presumably non-electrical, fault to have first arisen, for water to be where it shouldn't be in the first place, wouldn't it?

It shouldn't be there, but shower units are normally in a very wet environment, and the button triggers the electronics, the electronics the solenoid.

Sponsored Links
The electronics are powered.
Not necessarily. Perhaps they don't make them like this any more, but I've certainly seen ones in the past in which the 'off' position of the controls completely isolates the unit from power (in fact, I seem to recall that the one I have, as a virtually-never-used 'standby') is like that
It shouldn't be there, but shower units are normally in a very wet environment, and the button triggers the electronics, the electronics the solenoid.
In most, perhaps all, of of the one's I've examined which have a 'start/stop' switch/button or similar, it interrupts the connection (from the electronics) and the solenoid - so in such cases, 'triggering of the electronics' (by water) would not have any effect if the shower were in the 'stop' state.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back