Leave shower pullcord on or off?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When my electrician fitted my Mira Sport electric shower, he fitted an on/off pullcord by the door. He advised me to leave this in the 'on' position except when going away or if the shower needed attention. But I've now just got around to read the shower's instruction booklet, which says to switch off after each shower. (My spark said that the pullcords soon wear out if they are used on a daily basis.) What are the safety/other implications of leaving the shower almost permanently on?

Sponsored Links
Leave the switch OFF, as the manufacturers suggest.

As for safety, the chance of any problems is very small, but leaving any appliance powered continuously will increase the risk of it overheating or cathing fire if something goes wrong with it.

Pull cord switches are designed to be used. If the switch wears out quickly, it is a piece of junk and should not have been fitted in the first place.

Like flameport says, no decent switch should "wear out" any time soon.

Seen 'em used by 4 people showering daily last 10 years.

It's good practice to switch 'em off... that said, many are left on permanantly, like cooker switches or many, many other appliances, and nothing terrible ever really happens...

Sponsored Links
I agree with 'Gazer', and seem to be pulling it more often now that I am not working, time on your hands, so to speak. !!! :oops: :oops: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Leave the switch OFF, as the manufacturers suggest.

As for safety, the chance of any problems is very small, but leaving any appliance powered continuously will increase the risk of it overheating or cathing fire if something goes wrong with it.

Although it makes sense to turn off the pullcord to reduce 'standby' energy consumption and for safety's sake, if the shower randomly catches fire simply because the supply is left turned on then that would be rather worrying. Personally I don't bother switching off at the isolator simply because I'm unashamedly lazy, but whether you bother or not, there is no real cause for concern either way.

Why bother with a pullcord for the Shower? - mine is simply a 45amp Double Pole Switch with neon mounted outside the bathroom. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back