shower switch question...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My shower switch broke so I replaced it with a new one. Shower now works fine but the light on the switch stays on permanately !!! But the shower dont work when the switch is in the off position, but the lights still on if you get my meaning !
Have I screwed up on the fitting and is it safe if I just leave it ???

Sponsored Links
You have wired the incoming cables in the switch to the outgoing side and the outgoing cables to the incoming side. Just need swapping round

is this ok left as it is though? i did the same thing, but am dreading re-wiring it, with the 10mm2 cables etc. does it do the switch contacts any harm? its left on all the time anyway . . .

crafty1289 said:
is this ok left as it is though? i did the same thing, but am dreading re-wiring it, with the 10mm2 cables etc. does it do the switch contacts any harm? its left on all the time anyway . . .

problem bein the light will be on all the time and will give the impression that the shower has power, even if it doesnt. then you have the miss' complainin the showers cold and you have to fix it

TAFF! the shower doesnt work! get it fixed
OK. done
what did you do?! ive tried everything
Switch it on.

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
Did the switch not have any markings on it saying SUPPLY & LOAD, or IN & LOAD, or IN & OUT or anything?

If so, regard the rewiring effort as worthy penance for not paying attention... ;)

In this case it doesn't matter, and could be left, but the point about paying attention is important - one day it might matter...

ok, i tell a lie, my dad wired it up (he didnt realise about the load and supply thing. and dont start part p bashing, we were replacing the entire shower circuit, like for like, except using 10mm cable and higher power shower. not that bad surely!!). It is fixed to a very weak false ceiling, so i fear rewiring it might damage the ceiling. As well as the light, it has a little revolving indicator that reads "on" and "off", and the light on the shower is on as long as this switch is on, so im not that worried about it.

The Part P thing doesn't bother me - no skin off my nose what you do, but I don't know where this "like-for-like" thing comes from - there are no exemptions for it anywhere in Part P - all of the work you did was notifiable, except, ironically, replacing the switch.

You are allowed under Part P to replace one circuit cable damaged by fire, impact or rodent, as long as it follows the same route as the old cable.

Just need that hammer wileding psychotic ex-lab rat that chain smokes, and we let him loose in the wiring, and hey-ho one wire at a time we can rewire, and not trouble the scorers. (if we were going to trouble them anyway).
As regards the switch, it is not immediately dangerous, so I'd say it was safe to leave it until you have it all apart again next time, or are decorating the ceiling

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back