Do I need to tank a dry concrete floor and wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This sounds silly but --- why would my builder / insurer insist on doing this? Are they just being conventional?

A burst pipe a year ago flooded my house. Repairs have barely begun thanks to incompetent RSA and builders. All plaster is off walls.

As part of the repairs the surveyor appointed by our insurer wants to tank the existing concrete floor (built 1908, bone dry) and walls (solid brick with lime mortar, unfortunately covered on the outside with impermeable paint but only tiny damp spots due to gypsum patching and external render, now all gone).

They plan to put black sticky paint stuff on the whole floor and 2 feet up the walls "just in case". I'm more worried about this waterproofing preventing the wall/floor breathing and creating problems. Since there was no problem before, why would we need to do this? I see no issue with omitting it and potential issues with doing it... (I know it is conventional wisdom and usual by building regs but having seen some awful results of inappropriate waterproofing, I'm nervous.)

I suspect there is a dpc below the existing dry floor. There is a slate dpc in the wall about 12 inches from the ground. The room was 98% dry before the flood (one patch of damp about a foot square on the wall, prob due to exterior render I struggled to remove, now gone. House is high compared with surrounding ground.

Any thoughts? should I just let them do it, or could their plan be bad rather than merely pointless?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back