Do i need to top up my heating system??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Having recently moved house I have removed 2 radiators for decorating and now need to put them back on. However, being unfamiliar with the heating system I don't know how to go about topping the system up when I have re-attached and refilled the rads.

Briefly the system entails a Baxi Solo WM 50/4 RS boiler (conventional) and a Copperform combination tank.

I have taken some very helpful advice off this forum and checked for a filling loop and red pressure vessel of which I have neither, so I assume that it is not a sealed system.

However, I have also checked the loft/airing cupboard etc and there is also no cold water storage tank either (as in a vented system)- so I am at a loss??

The only form of water storage I can see is the "Copper form Direct Mains Combination Tank". I note however, that this is split into two, with the top portion taking the form of a small cold water tank with ball-cock.

My query is could this small tank be the source from which the heating system would re-fill itself as fill the rads - or if not how would the system refill.

Thanks

GD

Sponsored Links
You should have a small feed and expansion tank in your loft. Before trying to refill the system, I would have a look in the tank. If it is full of crud and scum, best to tie up the ballcock, bail out the water and debris and give the tank a clean inside. This prevents the dirt going down into the system when refilling.

Then untie ballcock, reattach rads and open their valves. Let the system fill, bleed rads and away you go.

The small tank on top of hw cylinder supplies cold water into cylinder to be heated. This is for your hot water supply, not the heating/rads.

grd1976, mate, you have already asked this question. My final piece of advice on your previous identical thread was to call a plumber round to check your system out if you can't figure it out yourself. As previously mentioned the cistern on top of the hot cylinder is for the hot cylinder exclusively; unless it has been Heathrobinsoned into your heating system, which is something that is not acceptable for various reasons.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back