Do I need to turn the water off? Is this a plumbing issue?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a condenser tumble dryer and just did two loads of washing and tumble dried for around 1.5 hours.

After the last tumbled load I could hear dripping but just presumed it was the machine sorting itself out. The sound continued and I pulled the machine out to find it seems to be leaking from the metal pipe that the blue plastic washing machine hose is attached to. It's quite a continuous drip but I'm not sure if it's because I have a hole in the pipe or because maybe the washing machine hose is blocked or something not to do with the actual pipework? Is there anything I can do to find this out?

Do I need to turn the water off at the mains overnight and call a plumber in the morning or is it safe to leave the water on? If I turn the mains off will this affect central heating?

i4imvl.jpg

I'd be really grateful for any input.

Sponsored Links
It will either be the isolating valve or the plastic nut atached to it that is leaking, most likely the plastic nut needs tightening a little.

Thanks, is that something I could try and sort myself (tonight?) - if so please be kind enough to advise what I need to do - I really am completely clueless when it comes to DIY!

Edit: I've just googled and see that turning the lever stops the water flow so have done that for tonight.

If somebody could give me a pointer as to what is needed for a permanent fix that would be much apprecaited.

It's an easy fix but if you're not sure what you're doing you could make the situation worse!

Check in the morning if the water flow has stopped, if it has then either tighten the washing machine connector (plastic nut) or replace the washer inside the plastic nut.

If the water continues to leak then it's from the service valve - turn off the mains supply and replace the valve.

I'm with sooey - my money's on the washing machine connector!

Sponsored Links
If you get some paper towel and dry all around the area of the blue tap it should become obvious where the water is seeping out from. Determining where it is leaking from will dictate how to fix it.

Thanks everso much for all the responses, I replaced the washer only for the leak to be worse. I then put the old washer back and the leak was still there but not as bad as with the new washer. I then 'jiggled' the sliver part on the end of the rubber pipe and the leak stopped! I genuinely would have called a plumber out if it hadn't been for the helpful posts pointing out what a simple fix it was so thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back